CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Check out my cake blog!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Vomit Friend


I always had friends in school but never any that i really trusted with important issues. In school you could tell by what table you sat at who you were friends with. My problem in school was that my "friends" were more interested in being part of something big than keeping secrets or issues private. If i were to tell a friend something that was to be private, the next day not only would the entire table know about it, but the surrounding tables would know it too. I thought it would always be like that- I never knew it to be different. I learned to stay quiet with what i felt, who i had crushes on, what i thought of other people. Sure enough, even with this, i was still taunted by highschool rumors about what my "friends" were saying when i wasnt around. I learned to live with it.

It wasnt until i began working at Brothers Bakery that i found someone who i could completely trust with everything. Lisa scared the crap out of me the first couple of months i worked there. She seemed so... intense. She was silent but always had a quick comeback when someone insulted/teased her, full of knowledge, and seemed to have so much self control and wisdom for someone who was only one year my senior. I remember the first day i worked there, she had come up to see what i was like. I was 18 at the time...
"How old are you now?"
*quiet scared voice*"19.."
"really? Thats how old i am."
"oh my gosh, im only 18, I just heard that you were 19 earlier and had that in my mind.."
"okay.." Then she walked away. Later i heard her talking to matt, the baker:
"Matt, she doesnt even know how old she is!" (needless to say, my entire face turned red with embarrassment as i heard this..)

it sucked.

But slowly the weeks went by we started talking more and more. She was so much like me i was shocked. Soon we were getting yelled at by Ryan for being too loud in the back, teaching eachother stupid dance moves at 5 in the morning, and getting into dough/cake(anything that was on hand) wars. I actually trusted her with personal stuff. From arguments with jerry, complaints about friends, and just information that i was never comfortable talking about with anyone else. She helped a lot when I went to stay with gema for a while and I like to think that I helped when she broke up with her long-time boyfriend temporarily.

Recently something happened that made me realize how happy i am to be friends with her. Shes my true vomit friend- someone who i can spew out all the information thats bearing down on me. I know that she will always be friends with me and we'll always be in touch. for that im extremely greatful.

The last time we actually hung out was at the 70's mystery party we threw at the bakery. Shortly after this, I ended up leaving. Since then, i swing by a lot to catch up and get the free pastry.

She's coming to the baby shower and i hope you all will be able to meet her!

*note- this post sounds like shes my only real friend and thats certainly not true. Shes just my only real friend that i trust thats not also related to me. :P

2 comments:

Gema said...

Amber, I am so glad you Have a good friend and I can't wait to meet her. And GLAD your weird neighbors moved--poor kids. It is just so sad. I am so happy you are blogging so much. I have missed all the blogs so--am just now getting caught up and we are off to Ark. for tornadoes so guess I will get behind again....

Tammie said...

I'm so glad to hear you have a vomit friend. Everyone should have one. That is what Jennifer is for me. I'm glad you found yours. Can't wait to meet her!